on 5-12-2008 3:47 PM Linux spake the following:
On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 1:15 AM, Tru Huynh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:40:22AM +0300, Linux wrote:
 > What a coincidence. That is the 1st time I live such a thing. Well,
 > show me a way to prove.
 /var/log/messages ?
Only a small part of it.

 > This log is after update & reboot:
 > "May 11 16:06:03 xxxxx kernel: XFS: failed to read root inode"
 nothing more?
Well, that is the only unexpected part. Just to show that XFS module
was loaded for WRONG kernel. As you said, you newer saw before.

 > According to this, there is a mystery in "May 11 16:06:03" because
 > there WAS a kmod_xfs but it was 53.1.14, not 53.1.19 as updated
 > kernel.
 too bad you rebooted 1 hour before the kernel-xfs module update.
When was kernel-xfs module updated in repository? Just that time? If
so too bad CentOS folks do not update every piece of kernel as a whole
in repositories. Where is integrity?

If not, "yum update" does not update everything at once. I have to run
yum update twice maybe more. First it will load kernel then see that a
new kernel is available, will go and bring its modules...

Still, it is a bit annoying and confusing. I am beginning to think
whether XFS is really supported in CentOS :)
XFS is an add-on module that the CentOS developers added because people wanted it. The official filesystem of CentOS is the same one that upstream has in RHEL -- EXT3. To see if a filesystem is truly supported by a distro is to see if one can select it at install time. Everything else is added on for someone else's benefit.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and