on 6-4-2008 3:12 PM Kirk Bocek spake the following:
Karanbir Singh wrote:
Kirk Bocek wrote:
I didn't provide the details because it was strange that the
installation failed at the same point regardless of the booting method I
used. It felt like some basic mistake or mis-setting in the OS. But hey,
I've been wrong before.

Anything interesting on vc#1,3,4,5 ? how about run remote syslog and see
if anything interesting gets in there....

After wandering in the dark for two days, I found this posting:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=13334

This reminded me that although this is an all SATA system, I also have a PATA tape drive installed.

The solution in the posting was to temporarily unplug the tape drive. Rather than pull this host out of the rack for the umpteenth time, I simply added to the installer's command line:

    hda=none hdb=none

For some reason, the tape drive is installed as /dev/hdb. I'm not sure what's at /dev/hda. If it's the DVD drive and I was installing from physical media, that might be a problem. However, my PXE-boot install is now flying along.

Kirk Bocek
With PATA the device ID is based on location. Hdb is the primary slave (slave on first port). There doesn't have to be a hda.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and