Kai Schaetzl wrote:
This is my first major version update after using a local repo.
It seems that before I can "yum update" I have to fetch the complete new 5.2 base? Is this correct?
You can build your base repo from the iso images via Nautilus. Right click on the iso image file and open with the Archive Manager, then extract the contents to a directory. You will have to set permissions to the created directories to 755.

Then do an rsync to the mirror base, you will pick a few fixes.

Building your 5.2/update repo directory is about a 900Mb download. No easy way around this.

BTW, I have done all this this week.
When I run yum update it now fails with various strange dependency errors although all the updates are synced. When I change to using the original repo file it wants to download many many more and shows a lot of files that are in base and not in updates.
Did you do a yum clean all first?  that was giving me all sorts of errors.