On Monday, October 28, 2013, wrote:

> Not brand-new, but I've not seen it mentioned on here so far.  Seagate
> Kinetic essentially enables HDDs to present themselves directly over
> Ethernet as Swift object storage:
>
> http://www.seagate.com/**solutions/cloud/data-center-**
> cloud/platforms/?cmpid=**friendly-_-pr-kinetic-us<http://www.seagate.com/solutions/cloud/data-center-cloud/platforms/?cmpid=friendly-_-pr-kinetic-us>
>
> If the CPUs on these drives have enough oomph for Swift, what about Ceph
> OSDs?
>
> Add in some DHCP option based auto-configure mechanism and a small SLC SSD
> in each drive (like hybrid drives; Kinetic graphics hint at this already:
> http://www.seagate.com/www-**content/ti-dm/_shared/images/**
> figure-3-drive-application-**management-storage-software-**api-732x642.png<http://www.seagate.com/www-content/ti-dm/_shared/images/figure-3-drive-application-management-storage-software-api-732x642.png>)
> so we could also eliminate the storage server layer, get smaller failure
> domains, and solve the journalling problem - and ultimately reduce cost and
> complexity.  Basically build a rack with hundreds of hot-plug Ethernet HDD
> ports...
>
> Forgive me, I'm just thinking out-loud...

Kinetic is interesting, but I think it's going to find more uptake among
big Open Compute users like Facebook than in general distributed storage
systems. In particular, these drives don't appear to have the CPU
power required to run OSDs, and their native interfaces don't have the
strength to be useful underneath.
-Greg