Good point - this depends on the agreement you have with your ISP - cheap DSLs (and
cheap burstable T1s for that matter) will share bandwidth and not guarantee it.
Premium ISPs such as UUnet
give you the option not to do this...  I don't think it is the line that matters as
much as the service standing behind it. ;-)

On the will the Telco fix DSL as fast as T1 - I expect you are correct. But if you are
worried about outages then a good idea is a back up system on a separate line and ISP
- even if only dial
up or ISDN. That way you can switch to the secondary system if the main one goes down.
;-)
- Michael Smith, TeraTech, Inc http://www.teratech.com/

Philip Arnold - ASP wrote:

> > We have used sDSL from two ISPs for our webservers. The first was
> > Concentric and it was terrible service. The second was UUnet and
> > their service has been great! I don't recall it going done. We
> > get 1 Mb both ways for $399/mo - which is much cheaper than a T1
> > at $1200-1800/mo. Even a burstable T1 at $799/mo cost more. I
> > think the key is going to a quality ISP instead of the cheapest
> > in the barrel and having a good phone line to run it on.
> > - Michael Smith, TeraTech, Inc http://www.teratech.com/
>
> I can only speak from aDSL experience, but the problem that you have with it
> compared to a T1 is that the aDSL line has a certain pipe size at the ISP,
> this pipe is shared over all of the DSL customers... what this means is that
> if you have an ISP that has a small amount of DSL pipe, and sells it to
> loads of customers, then your speed is dependant on the concurrent usage by
> all customers
>
> Note sure if it works that way in the States, but that's how it is with the
> UK ISPs I've spoken to...
>
> Philip Arnold
> ASP Multimedia Limited
> T: +44 (0)20 8680 1133
>
> "Websites for the real world"

Michael Smith, TeraTech Inc - Tools for Programmers(tm)
VB, CF/ASP Web, Telephony, Math, Access programming tools & consulting
100 Park Ave Ste 360, Rockville MD 20850 USA
Voice: +1-301-424-3903, 800-447-9120 x500  Fax:301-762-8185  BBS:301-762-8184
Web: http://www.teratech.com/sig/
Email:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]