I sort of find it amusing sometimes everyone always referring to yahoo
as the most succesful site while not meriting it's gargantous marketing
budget and "first to market" appeal. I think it is a bit skewed when
people reference it as the most used simply for lack of graphics.
Although it may prove that consumers don't demand
graphics...Additionally when referencing the internet people mention
sites like google, yahoo and such - yet the engines and directories are
a completly different animal than the commerce sites and internet "apps"
people are building. To me it is comparing apples to kumqwats(little fruits)

I happen to be one of those "different breed" graphical guys who uses
and learned coldfusion to substantially increase my designs and offer
better dynamic solutions. While so enthralled at it;s sheer simplicity -
now write every site dynamically. As for the flash part - it does and
will have major advantages as internet applications.

With flash remoting one of my clients was tired of opening the browser
to get to his admin section to update tracking information and product
information. Made a dynamic icon for him that opens a flash file - in
milliseconds - he makes requests or/and or updates database information
and site is modified real time.

In that case the client could careless about browsers, compatibilies and
such - it made him more productive.

So often everyone thinks about one side of the puzzle without realizing
just a little thought brings out a whole additional side and possibility -

Flash does not mean graphical. The app above has one rotating arrow to
show it is getting data -
I also beleive that this is what others on the list have mentioned and
MM is pushing - death to intro's.

as for the bandwith thing-

"Flash applications do not inherently save bandwidth. "

"
I see where this is heading. Obviously if flash's interface can be
downloaded once - and only the data (content) is being sent back and
forth - of course you will save bandwith. Additionally - you ever notice
how small flash can compress images.

Obviously  if a designer chooses to design a new interface or graphical
heavy screen or LoadMovie commands - completly loading new .swf's at
each user interval - that can be bandwith heavy... BUT if you took the
same poor design and converted to html and cfm - I would bet the flash
would still be lighter. So from my experience- flash is lighter on bandwith.

Jay Miller