Well, I've not had a problem with CFMX on HostmySite.com :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Tormod Guldvog [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 13 August 2002 09:30
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: CFMX connectivity problems (not DB-related)

> > customers not to choose the CFMX platform as it is known to be
> > unstable
>
> unstable?

Here's what they say (quote from their reply to my post in their forums):

"If you are worried about uptime, you should not be on a Cold Fusion MX
server. We keep
emailing this to our customers, putting it in newsletters etc. but people
are not
understanding that this is a complete rewrite of the Macromedia Cold Fusion
product, and
there are many pieces that don't work properly at this time. It is somewhat
compatible,
and many features do work, but there are load issues and connectivity issues
to ODBC. The
biggest problem is their ODBC service which they had to create in order to
connect from
JRUN/JDBC to Windows native ODBC. The ODBC services stall just as they did
in Cold Fusion
4.5 before service packs.

Do not jump into CFMX with production sites thinking everything will run
smoothly and
that you will get the uptime you would on a mature product like Cold Fusion
5.0. Jumping
into CFMX is like getting in a prototype airplane... you have no idea what
could happen.

This is a warning to all our customers because we DO NOT want to see our
customers
struggling to convert pieces of their applications at the last second or
going crazy
because CFMX isn't running like Cold Fusion 5.0. We have done our best to
make CFMX
stable, we have dropped the number of sites per server to around 75 sites
per server just
to help until they come out with service packs.

Someone on the forum once said, they found it "interesting" when I talked
about CF,
implying that my comments are biased in some way, I want to assure all of
our CF
customers that is not the case. My comments are based on our knowledge and
experience
from monitoring the servers 24x7 and many hours and late nights with
Macromedia support,
and Microsoft support and the list goes on. We support many technologies and
work very
hard to do so above and beyond expectations and hope we enable our customers
use them to
their fullest potential."

Now isn't that a mouthful.

> > and have serious connectivity problems (page not found, browser
> > hangups etc).
>
> never heard this.
> > references to them from others but as for myself I'm having severe
> > problems with two CFMX plans I've bought recently.
>
> what problems?

Page not found errors, DNS problems (browesrs can't find the pages even
though both PINGs
and tracerts work all right), unresponsive site, Internal server errors, the
whole
shebang.

The site in question, which is still a testing site, is at:
http://www.hypography.net/

Tormod

--
Tormod Guldvog