> For what reason? I've jumped in mid-thread here, but I'm
> really keen to get
> some good nitty-gritty low-down on the pros/cons/appropriate
> contexts for
> custom tags/UDFs/CFCs.
>
> I've had access to CF5 for a while, but most of my clients
> have been stuck
> on CF4.5 hosts, so I've not really got into the habit of
> UDFs. Now MX and
> CFCs are here, I feel I should dive into the whole lot
> knowing the practical
> differences and arguments for each method.
>
> You mentioned typing the extra reference for CFCs (i.e.
> myCFC.isEmail(...)
> as opposed to isEmail() for a UDF). Beyond that - which is
> obviously down to
> the kind of personal preference that's not worth debating -
> why would a CFC
> set of methods as opposed to a UDF library be not "bad per
> se, just maybe
> not appropriate"? What's the "not appropriate" bit, in
> performance/architecture terms, not personal
> preference/coding style terms?

Dave mentioned a collection of UDFs called Math that would serve as a
library. On a _completely_
personal level (ie, not performance, security, etc), I tend to think the
methods of a CFC should be
more tightly coupled - ie, have more of a reason then being together
than just being mathematical.

As a purely personal preference - that is why I wouldn't think it's
appropriate. Yes, I know it's a very
wishy-washy response - but as I said, it's a personal feeling. Also,
with CFCs being such a new beast,
what makes sense now and what makes sense 3 years from now will most
likely be somewhat different.

Raymond Camden, ColdFusion Jedi Master for Hire

Email    : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Yahoo IM : morpheus