Hal Helms
"Java for CF Programmers" class immediately
after Macromedia DevCon.
Info at www.halhelms.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Bullough [mailto:gwb@;outofchaos.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 3:48 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: CFMX Developer Edition wish was Re: Pro v Enterprise?

At 01:08 PM 10/17/02 -0400, Dave Watts wrote:
>I'm kind of surprised by this request. I don't work for Macromedia,

Yes, but we will admit, won't we, that Fig Leaf has historically had
rather a 'special' relationship with Allaire/Macromedia...

>so I can't answer on their behalf. However, this seems to be well
>beyond the purview of the Developers Edition, which is really designed
>for a single developer's use.

Is it, now? Should it be?

The question is, does Macromedia want to facilitate development using
their software, which sells license after license, or continue to raise
the 'cost of entry' to the point where they push shops that are smaller
than the 'establlishment' (like Figleaf) off to the very viable, less
costly, alternatives, such as PHP and JSP?

>  If you want to do shared development, you're supposed to purchase the

>appropriate license. With CF 5, if I recall correctly, what we now call

>the "Developers Edition" was then called the "Single-User Edition".

Once true. However, CF has sort of moved beyond that. When I first
started CF, and went to a Fast Track to Cold Fusion class )taught by a
Fig Leaf employee), one of the jolly things about CF was you could
develop a fairly complex site on your laptop. On a pretty feeble laptop
at that. I know. I did.

Somewhere 'long about 4.5, sites got heavier and so did CF and Studio,
and it got harder to do that.

>This kind of limitation isn't that uncommon, when it comes to
>development tools. You tend to get very little for free - you either
>have to purchase "seats", or buy limited-functionality versions, for
>development use. If you need to use the "real thing", you tend to have
>to purchase the "real thing".

Being a bit disingenuous aren't we? Fig Leaf, after all, is a Premier
Partner, and gets free NFR copies...

>This is part of the typical cost of development. Buying a single $5k
>server license that allows you unlimited development against it is
>pretty cheap,

Single? Single? Let's see, we have sites on 4.5, 5.0, NT, and Linux. We
have a shared production server on each platform. And a development
server on each.

Not sure how Dave gets 'single' out of that...

>compared to a lot of other products out there.

Well, not really. If you're developing for ASP, the application server
comes with the OS (the one on which most copies of CF run).

You DO pay money for Microsoft's IDE if you use it, but so then do you
for the one that goes with CF. (.NET seems to be another story, but it
isn't clear that that is going to fly.)

Now, I know Fig Leaf would rather not have to compete against those
pesky 1- to 6-man shops, but let's argue the interests of the continued
proliferation of the platform, not the interests of certain Premier
Partners who may be, shall we say, a bit 'closer' to the former Allaire
than most of us mere mortals.

Greg