Indeed, the 2 first recommandations to start to write "clean" Flash code are
:
- stop thinking procedural programming > think OO programming and package
all you class in external .as files,
You might check www.gmodeler.com for UML ActionScript class modeling.
- stop thinking timeline-based programming > think event-based programming
with broacaster/listener mechanism.
There is an undocumented ASBroadcaster class, but the best is to rewrite it
(you can find a Broadcaster.as class in the Petmarket sample application).
A broadcaster would act as the controller if you use a Model View Controller
approach.

Don't forget :
- the Flash Components to encapsulate and build reusable client components,
(you might check the new Branden Hall's Outlet component in order to build
external shared components libraries :
http://www.waxpraxis.org/downloads/outlet.zip)
- the drawing APIs to dynamically build your interface.

At the end, you'll spend most of your time coding ActionScript.
That's why a lot of people are using an external ActionScript editor.
It might be DreamweaverMX or SciTE|Flash (excellent!
http://www.bomberstudios.com/sciteflash/)

Benoit Hediard
www.benorama.com