>>But try telling a
>>user their tabulated data can't be entered into the cms (tables are about
>>the only way that'll happen)

When I said "should NOT allow users to use HTML" I was thinking of colors,
fonts, etc.
If colors are to be used, they should be defined once for all in styles or
classes
and made available to users this way, not through a "color picker".
The color picker however should be available to administrators only to edit the
styles and classes (I'm working on this part).

Table are to be allowed, for sure, i'm just testing this new feature on my
editor.

>> or that because the Board of Directors wants to
>>use Comic Sans in 96-pt Muave for their monthly report's page title that you
>>can't accomodate them because only a bad system would allow such a thing...

No, my point is that if the "Board of Directors wants to..", you (or they) make
a class
meeting this demand available to users, you don't let them with just a font
selector and a color picker.

anytime.

>> Oh my God! If I were to pick one feature that users were explicitly
>>delirious over, and which management expressly listed as a job requirement,
>>it would be the ability to upload an image or document (pdf, .doc; .xls or
>>somesuch) inline directly into the page via the wysiwyg editor.

You do it that way, of course, but forget about pages with images or document
catalog with
titles, descriptions, etc.
This will still be a CMS, but with no DMS (Document management system).