> Is the SMS Gateway available in CF8 Standard, or Enterprise only?

It's available, but limited to running a single request at a time. If you're
serious about using it - enough to warrant getting an SMS short code -
you'll probably want Enterprise.

> Aside from having the gateway built in, is there anything
> else to purchase? (like an account with AT&T or something)
> Are there any fees associated with sending (or receiving)
> messages through the gateway? Who charges you? How?

You will need to use an SMS service provider, who will charge you fees. I'm
not too familiar with the fee structure, though; I know some people on the
list can provide much more detail on that.

> I was always curious how you get those 5 digit codes you see on tv.

You pay for them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_code

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/