We recently setup a deal with an SMS provider to sent emergency alerts to our
students and staff.  Our part of the deal has us paying for unlimited SMS
messages for a given price.

However, our school does not pay for the recipients to receive the messages.
The recipient is responsible for paying to receive the messages.

Although there are instances where the recipient doesn't pay, such as
requesting an account status message from your own cell provider, most of the
time, in the US, you pay to send and you pay to receive.

You could think of it as a double-payment for a single message: The sender pays
to send the message and the recipient pays to receive the messages.  Therefore,
a single message can cost a total of $0.40 for the full trip.

In our case, we let the students/staff opt-in to receive the messages.  We are
not going to force a $0.20 message on anyone.  You would not believe how bent
people can get when forced to pay $0.20.

Fortunately, my wife and I are on Sprint's unlimited messaging.  It costs us
$30/month extra, but we send/receive a few thousand messages each month.

m!ke

  _____