Each server setup is unique and needs to be tuned for it's purpose,
applications running and hardware.  I have a couple of JVM Tuning posts on my
blog that serve as a guide but not meant as an exact this is how you do it.
http://www.trunkful.com/index.cfm/JVM-Tuning

The Adobe website has detailed posts on the exact science of tuning the JVM for
your specific server and application(s).  Tuning your application, server, JVM,
database and network are all part of building a high performance high
availability setup.  Each is unique and it's really something that should be
done no matter which web application layer you choose.

Wil Genovese
Sr. Web Application Developer/
Systems Administrator

wilg...@trunkful.com