Whatever Jochem....you get the point....a simple page load test with
some queries etc. has nothing to do with the thread....it was a SPECIFIC
performance issue.

I bow down to your superior knowledge and use of semantics ;-)

Cheers

On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 09:56 +0200, Jochem van Dieten wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Bryan Stevenson wrote:
> > Respectfully Ketan....your tests have nothing to do with the string
> > concatenation performance issue that was the crux of this thread ;-)
>
> I very much doubt the performance issue discussed here has anything to
> do with string concatenation.
>
> <cffile action='append'...> appends code to the file on the file
> system. That means it waits until the data hits the disks. If you pull
> the plug after 10K lines, you will have a file with 10K lines on the
> filesystem when it comes back up. With a 15K RPM disk the rotational
> latency alone limits you to 250 operations per second. So 20K lines
> takes about 80 seconds. (If you test this you will frequently see
> higher performance numbers which is due to write caching not in the OS
> but on the disk. SAS disks typically allow you to disable that.)
>
> <cfset this.FileObject.write(arguments.fileData,0,
> len(arguments.fileData))> doesn't write to disk, it writes to a JVM
> buffer. Only the final FileObject.flush() writes the buffer to disk.
> If you pull the plug after 10K lines, you will have a file with 0
> lines on the filesystem when it comes back up.
>

> That your PHP code runs in about 8 seconds simply means it does string
> concatenation in memory followed by one write as well. Either
> explicitly in a PHP memory variable or implicitly by not doing a real
> fsync after writing to the filesystem.
>
> Jochem

Bryan Stevenson B.Comm.
VP & Director of E-Commerce Development
Electric Edge Systems Group Inc.
phone: 250.480.0642
fax: 250.480.1264
cell: 250.920.8830
e-mail: br...@electricedgesystems.com
web: www.electricedgesystems.com

Notice:
This message, including any attachments, is confidential and may contain
information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure. It is intended
only for the person to whom it is addressed unless expressly authorized
otherwise by the sender. If you are not an authorized recipient, please
notify the sender immediately and permanently destroy all copies of this
message and attachments.