From: David Phelan [mailto:dphe...@emerginghealthit.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:44 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: RE: Client wants CMS that functions similar to Joomla, for example

Rick,

Most full-blown CMS solutions allow the clients to add pages to a site whenever
desired, they simply select
the underlying template (that you develop and provide) for that particular page
and go to town creating the
content and adding web parts into the areas that you have defined in the
template.  A WYSIWYG editor is a key
ingredient and there are several open source ones out there.  I use TinyMCE
which is rather simple to
configure and provides a good number of options and plugins to choose from and
the new version allows for
inline editing of the content, though it doesn't sync with the applied CSS to
allow users to see the formats
they are applying.  The ability to upload graphics and documents is also
important.

Another important thing is allowing the client to preview the updated content
within the context of the site
before they publish it.  This way they can verify that the changes they have
made fit the sites theme and
layout and correct anything that falls outside the acceptable limits.  Inline
editors are good for this but
there are other approaches as well.

You want to give them the freedom to alter the content to the greatest possible
extent so that you can focus
on developing new functionality/web parts for them to incorporate into their
content, especially now that
there is an ever increasing number of sites that will allow companies to create
their own sites for relatively
low cost.  You certainly don't want to constrain your client to the point that
they move on to another option.

David Phelan
Web Developer
IT Security & Web Technologies