Thanks everyone for your suggestions.   @Jochem, I had no idea about that
escalation address.   Thanks for that.    @Dave Watts, as always a
thoughtful and considered response.  I have actually done all those things,
with some success, as you'll see if you read on.   @Russ, I took your
approach with the next guy I had on the live chat - I imagine he has some
eloquent names for me now.     @Mac,  I am now looking at alternatives to
the Creative Cloud.    It's clear that if anything goes wrong with my
relationship with Adobe, or anything happens to Adobe,  I'm screwed.
(Based on the state of the Australian Adobe, it's not far-fetched to
consider them disappearing entirely from the landscape).

And thanks to @Ray Camden for offering to step up and go to bat on my
behalf.  It's not his role there and not a problem of his causing, but he
volunteered to try to fix it for me.

First of all,    I cannot talk to ANYONE at Adobe on the phone.
 Australians cant call US 1800 numbers  they dont work.   and anyway I
can't call internationally on my mobile phone.  I dont have a big enough
mortgage.   I have been trying to call someone in the Australian end of
Adobe for almost a month, and you can never get through to anyone.   They
dont answer the phone.   All you get is a message bank,  and then they
don't call back.

Secondly, I have already gone up the support tree several times to what the
person on the live chat window says was "the appropriate team".  (when i
ask what the name of that team is,  I dont get an answer.)   I have had a
bucket full of promises and assurances that came to nothing.   "It will all
be fine within 24 hours" I've been repeatedly assured, only to see nothing
happens - 3 days later I'm still getting the "you have xx days before your
subscription lapses." message.

Thirdly,  I never store my files on the cloud exclusively.  I will do my
own backups and have control of what happens to them,  and have a backup on
the cloud as double indemnity.    I'm talking about being able to start
Photoshop,  Fireworks,  Edge, Dreamweaver, Audition etc.   With no Creative
Cloud subscription valid, they will stop or be crippled.

Fourthly,  the situation is now resolved.   I got pretty aggressive in yet
another online chat (the only way I can interact with Adobe - they dont
have any email addresses published so I can't send emails and can't phone
them), because if I can't run Audition before my radio show starts I'm in
deep trouble preparing it.     Radio has very inflexible deadlines.   I
felt a bit sorry for the poor support guy on the end of the chat because he
copped it all.   It wasn't his fault but where else could I apply any
pressure to get this resolved since I couldn't talk to anyone on the phone
and until Jochem gave me the email address, I had no way to communicate by
email either?     To his credit, he remained calm although I am sure he was
swearing at me behind the keyboard, and he told me someone from "the
appropriate team" would call me.   I demanded that the call be NOW while I
am here and that he remain on the chat until its resolved.       To my
surprise, someone did indeed call me right then and we got the matter
resolved.       My credit card is processed and my Creative Cloud
subscription is once again current.

And they've given me 2 months free as compensation.     I feel its pretty
small compensation given the amount of billable time I've wasted extracting
empty promises and assurances from Adobe, but it's something so I'll live
with that.

The base problem is this:
[A]  if my credit card payment didnt go through the first time,  I should
have had an email informing me, and they should have attempted the charge
again a few days later.   That's what everyone else in the world does.
[B] I shouldn't have  had to update my account details in order to prompt a
re-billing.  The details were correct.  It's an account I keep a very small
balance in, so if i get my details stolen, I can't lose too much.
[C]  When i DID try to update my details (change them to what they already
were), I sometimes got error messages saying the update was invalid.
Nothing about whether it was my fault or theirs.  So should I go back and
try to update again or not?   A bit of usability testing required there, I
think.
[D] once the problem had emerged, it shouldnt have required me to spend 7.5
hours of billable time getting it resolved.   It's a simple matter (or at
least it ought to be) and I shouldnt have been given assurances and
promises that didnt happen.
[E] The Australian subsidiary should have a phone number that people
actually answer.   If they dont talk to anyone on the phone it's no wonder
the Australian company is a basket case.    Most of the time when I called
them, I didnt say WHY i wanted to talk - for all they knew i could have
been wanting to buy a thousand copies of Photoshop or something

This is not advanced customer relationship management - its basic stuff
that trainees know before they even start work for petes sake.

Anyway, it's all resolved now, and I really can't justify spending any more
time on something that shouldn't have occupied my attention more than 5-10
minutes.

And I'm still outraged that it took them over a MONTH to tell me my credit
card details and passwords had been compromised.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion Enterprise, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month