the common reasons PHP becomes slow is an overloaded server, if the disk IO
is not fast then PHP suffers.
This does not affect CF in the same way because cf templates get cached in
memory by default.

To determine whether one host is going to be any better than another, the
question you need to ask them is how many sites they put on each server,
what type of disks they use, etc.

We do not overload our servers for example, so as to not have so many
issues caused by too many sites or other customers with badly written
sites. We have also moved all our shared hosting servers to SSD now to get
max performance, and it really does make a difference.