> I think we should look at the original post again and calm down a bit.
> Notice how they say Hosting Service Providers? They're not
> talking about me
> with my 3 domains on a machine. They're not talking about you
> with your 2 or
> whatever domains on your machine. They're talking about
> CFHosting.com, who
> are defined as a business that provides hosting.

Do you know how many companies offer ColdFusion hosting in the UK? I know of
about 10-15, none of which are large, well-known companies.

Why? Demon told me it was the cost of the Application Server versus demand.
There response was "develop in ASP".

If this pricing policy works its way through, hosting companies in the UK
are going to be *less* likely to purchase CFAS, not more.

And of the ones that have, all of them have a "price per domain" pricing
structure. I was hoping to see "reseller" ColdFusion hosting options appear
in the UK where you can host multiple domains for a fixed price per month
(as a developer, that's ideal - we stand to generate monthly revenue the
more we develop in ColdFusion), but I can't see that happening if this
announcement comes into effect.

So, end result, less ColdFusion hosting on offer, hosting prices don't come
down, people reluctant to go down the ColdFusion route as it seems
increasingly "marginialised", proprietary and costly to host. ColdFusion
isn't particularly mainstream in the UK as it is. Why do something that runs
the risk of making it even less-so?

This announcement stands to hit hosting companies in the short term and
developers (who have to source hosting solutions for the applications they
develop) in the longer term.

If the price squeeze is enough, ColdFusion Server sales in the UK will
suffer, the effects of which will cascade down to the point at which
developers learn other languages and suggest they develop applications in
those instead.

Methinks Allaire/Macromedia might be trying to recoup their losses on
Spectra...

--
Aidan Whitehall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Netshopperuk