Ok, what this means for my company and for Macromedia is...

According to the FAQ, we can purchase Pro or Enterprise to host our own
applications and be within the license. So our companies bottom line is not
really affected as far as development goes.
However, I do not see us continuing to offer CF as a standard feature of our
hosting packages. At least for version 5. I predict there will be quite a
few hosts that provide CF 4.5 as part of a hosting package for a long time,
and if they offer CF5 shared hosting  at all it will be at a premium. We
will upgrade to CF5, but not for all of our servers, and probably never will
upgrade a couple past 4.5. The costs are astronomical to offer CF as a
standard feature anymore.

Who got hurt? The little guy looking for CF5 shared hosting. The development
companies are safe. Perhaps the bigger hosters are safe too, with volume
discounts and all.

I got started in CF because my web host offered it as a standard feature, so
I played around with it, and a couple of years later here I am a CF
developer. It seems sad to me that a lot of new guys wont get the chance I
did. As a web host puts up new servers, CF will be slowly phased out. Either
we buy a license for 4.5 or pay through the nose for CF5. Why bother? Maybe
1 out of every 20 of our current sites use CF. Most people cant even figure
out FrontPage ;-)

Macromedia in one fell swoop, just cut a whole lot of little guys out.

Perhaps what Macromedia is really trying to do is sell more copies of pro
and enterprise. It is now more cost effective to rent a server or colocate
and put CF on it yourself. Still cutting out the new guys though :-(

jon