i've been creating web-based apps since january 1996 and i started with
coldfusion 1.0 when it came on floppies with website 1.0 from o'reilly. i
remember when CF was US$995. it's increased 5-6 fold in price since then.
i've never had a problem convincing clients to pay for it and making enough
margin to own my own licenses for my own applications.

maybe the market just doesn't need thousands and thousands of CF developers
regardless of how many people want to be one, or how many people believe
they "deserve" to be successful because they work hard.

this new licensing doesn't affect me or my clients whatsoever now that i've
read the FAQ. but if the price of CF is increased for my uses then i'll pay
it.

i'll echo dave's point: these companies are in business to make a profit,
not break even. and i'll carry that one step further and say that's true for
the small, medium, and large business represented on this list. if the
increase in cost drives you out of the market, i hate to sound cold, but get
used to it. price increases are part of business. and even though i can't
think of one software package i use that's gotten cheaper since i started 5+
years ago, i can also say that my billing rates have increased much more
significantly than my cost of doing business.

if i were in this to pay my bills and scrape by, i might as well be flipping
burgers.