On 4/28/01, Dave Watts penned:
>No, I don't think they're purposely trying to get out of anything. I think
>they're pursuing the share of the market that makes the most sense for them
>to gain, from their perspective. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised
>if they spent a disproportionate amount supporting ISPs' problems, with very
>little visible return. The historical direction of CF from version 3 onward
>has been aimed at the enterprise as best Allaire could, with the addition of
>shared memory, caching functionality, LDAP and X.500 security integration,
>and server clustering. It was never really intended for use in a
>shared-server environment:
>
>- there's only one server instance in memory,
>- it's always favored performance over stability, which is fine for
>dedicated applications, but not so good when any Joe can run code on a given
>box for a $50/year fee
>- individual applications can't have performance constraints placed on them

 From what I've seen Dave, 95% of the CF sites out there ARE on shared
servers. I'd love to see some statistics on this.

>Furthermore, had Allaire spent any time addressing those points, the core
>product would probably have suffered as a result. Now, although Allaire
>hadn't made significantly more per unit selling CF to ISPs as opposed to
>others, I'll bet they've had to field more support calls as a result of
>those ISP sales, when someone wrote code without locks, or with infinite
>loops, or some other stupid server-crashing trick.

I've never called Allaire for support. I get all the support I've
even needed right here.

>Consider this: what's one of the more noticeable additions to CF 5
>Enterprise? All of the "Harvest" components, which should significantly
>lower the costs for managing multiple applications per server. If they're
>going to release something which lowers the ISP's cost of business, why
>shouldn't MM feel entitled to a piece of that

My point is, that if someone like myself, who may only have 2 or 3
apps run by others, why shouldn't I still be able to use CF Pro? I
wouldn't be adverse to a reasonable price hike. But from 1,100 to
6,000 is a bitter pill for me to swallow. My main reason in buying CF
and my own server was to be able to offer my customers hosting in an
environment that I control, thereby being able to limit the server to
50-60 CF apps (or at whatever point it looked like performance was
suffering), then buy another box and another license. If I have to do
like the other hosts I've been with do, and put several hundred CF
sites on a box, then I'm doing the same thing I invested all this
money in to get away from. I'm not looking to make a huge profit. I'm
looking to recoup my investment while being able to offer well
performing, stable hosting to my clients. That will be hard to do
spending 6k for a license for every 50 sites.
--

Bud Schneehagen - Tropical Web Creations

ColdFusion Solutions / eCommerce Development
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.twcreations.com/
954.721.3452