supposedly they do a full back up every night.  I am using a shared
SQL server so we don't have permissions to create our own maintenance
schedule.  I will still pass this on though thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bud [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2001 9:08 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: SQL Transaction Logs...?

On 12/12/01, Kelly Matthews penned:
>Has anyone ever had a SQL 7 or 2000 database that wasn't that large.
>Have one that's about 9 megs. Where the transaction log was HUGE? My
>transaction log is 231 megs right now and rapidly growing. There is not
>that much update, insert, delete activity against the database so I am
>confused as to why this is happening.  I run a ton of other databases
>where the transaction log is not so much larger then the database.
>Thoughts?

Alot depend on how you have your maintenance scheduling set up. If
you have a single transaction log that keeps growing, then it sounds
as though you DON'T have a maintenance schedule. That's not using one
of SQL Server's most desirable functions. :)

I set mine up to do a full backup weekly and a transaction log backup
every 12 hours. Every time the transaction log is backed up, all of
those transactions are deleted from the log (auto-shrink).

Then I backup to tape daily. If I have a failure, I can restore the
most recent full backup, then all the transaction log backups after
that. The most I'd lose is less than 12 hours worth of data and disk
usage is kept to a minimum.

One question I have for you SQL experts though. I have the full
backup and transaction backups set to be deleted automatically every
8 days. The full backup files are deleted fine, but I have to delete
the old transaction log backups manually. Any idea as to why?
--

Bud Schneehagen - Tropical Web Creations

ColdFusion Solutions / eCommerce Development [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.twcreations.com/