We use a similar approach (I live in Switzerland, using four languages is
quite common for website).
Since we are poor guys and often work on small projects, we define the
variables using <cfscript> inside a bunch of dedicated files for each
language. Then we include the relevant file on the fly based on the user's
preference (usually stored inside a session var)

--
Massimo Foti

www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia