Title: Message
How come <cfxml> does not return an XML document?  This does not make any sense.  An xml document is simply a textual string that has structure, right?  So, how am I suppose to create a shell xml document to be stored in the database to be used at a later time?  Oh this is so frustrating.  What part am I missing?

Tom
-----Original Message-----
From: Askew, Jason [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 9:08 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [cf-xml] CFXML question

From http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/mx/coldfusion/articles/xmlxslt.pdf

If you want your ColdFusion page to generate valid, well-formed XML, a really easy way to get started is with the cfxml tag:

1. Add a pair of opening and closing cfxml tags to your page.

2. Include whatever XML you wish between them.

3. ColdFusion will parse the XML and return it to you as a XML Document object structure (you specify the name of the structure with the VARIABLE attribute, as shown

But what you're getting isn't a XML doc in the sense you are thinking:

For this reason, when ColdFusion parses an XML document, it returns the information from the document in a form that's very, very similar to a ColdFusion structure. Just use the familiar, dot notation syntax to refer to the various pieces of information in the structure. Then use the familiar structure-related functions (such as StructKeyExists(), StructInsert() and so on) to find out the elements within the XML document, or to make changes to the XML data.

Does that make sense?  Check out the PDF at the URL above to get a full sense of what the XML tags in MX are for.  Probably one of the best sources I've found so far.