On 10/25/2012 05:58 PM, Ron Savage wrote:
> Hi Mark
>
> On 26/10/12 02:01, Mark Stosberg wrote:
>> On 10/25/2012 10:51 AM, Brian Wightman wrote:
>>> Are we able to block this username (I know it won't be very effective) from
>>> doing any type of updates?  Perhaps just bit-bucketing them or blacklisting
>>> the IP for a period of time?
>>
>> I believe we have, or can have, root access on the server where the site
>> is hosted. So we have some options to block IPs at the OS or Apache level.
>
> AFAIK, some ISPs, including Amazon, share IPs among many users, so
> blocking an IP is contentious.
>
>> The application could be patched to ban this username as well.
>
> Could be done, but then he'd switch.
>
> I suggesting disabling edits unless the user name is on a list. Then
> there's the chance the abuser would see legit edits and impersonate that
> user...

Ron,

You are right on all points. That brings me to Plan B, which is perhaps
over due:

 Start over the wiki using a new platform.

It's due for a "refresh" anyway. I'm sure a lot of the content should
use a review for updates, purging and adding, and the design is stale
now as well.

More modern choices have decent option for spam prevention built in.

  Mark

#####  CGI::Application community mailing list  ################
##  To unsubscribe, or change your message delivery options,  ##
##  visit:  http://www.erlbaum.net/mailman/listinfo/cgiapp    ##
##  Web archive:   http://www.erlbaum.net/pipermail/cgiapp/   ##
##  Wiki:          http://cgiapp.erlbaum.net/                 ##