From: Melody Clark [mailto:melody.r.cl...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 1:12 PM
To: Melody Clark <melcl...@uw.edu>
Subject: Fwd: Now Accepting Applications for our 2017 Summer Internship Program!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: The Berkman Klein Center
<rtaba...@cyber.harvard.edu<mailto:rtaba...@cyber.harvard.edu>>
Date: Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 12:07 PM
To: melody.r.cl...@gmail.com<mailto:melody.r.cl...@gmail.com>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd/images/fc4d2223-1d21-4571-b218-69361edc2887.png]

View this email in your
browser<http://us10.campaign-archive2.com/?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=a5aad8f77b&e=70585a55ab>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd/images/c6e9a53e-6f67-420b-9a52-63db7d7e5b15.png]<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=34de3be58a&e=70585a55ab>

[Facebook]<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=521540aa05&e=70585a55ab>

[Twitter]<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=3e590cf40d&e=70585a55ab>

[Instagram]<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=7c23dd40f1&e=70585a55ab>

[YouTube]<http://harvard.us10.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=4c7af15f50&e=70585a55ab>

[SoundCloud]<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=d8b840cd50&e=70585a55ab>

We are now accepting applications for our 2017 Summer Internship
Program!<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=e83f685190&e=70585a55ab>

The Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University is
preparing to welcome another stellar crew of students to join us as summer
interns!

Information about the summer program and specific internship projects, as well
as links to the application procedures, may be found below and at
brk.mn/summer<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=be82dfe364&e=70585a55ab>

The application deadline for all students for summer 2017 is Monday, February
13, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. ET

We are looking to engage a diverse group of students who are interested in
studying -- and changing the world through -- the Internet and new
technologies; who are driven, funny, and kind; and who would like to join our
amazing community in Cambridge this summer for 10 weeks of shared research and
exchange.

Please feel welcome to spread word of the opportunity to great candidates, and
help us continue to develop our shared network of Internet researchers working
to advance scholarship with impact.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd/images/b9a2fe74-a368-4a37-9f97-906f9a43a579.jpg]<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=f4d9c4803e&e=70585a55ab>

Come build with us!

About the Program
Each summer the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard
University swings open the doors of our vibrant yellow house to welcome a group
of talented and curious students as full-time interns -
Berkterns!<http://harvard.us10.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=a060fd668a&e=70585a55ab>
 - who are passionate about the promise of the Internet. Finding connected and
complementary research inquiries among their diverse backgrounds, students
represent all levels of study, are being trained in disciplines across the
board, and come from universities all over the world to tackle issues related
to the core of the Center’s research agenda. Summer interns jump head first
into the swirl of the Berkman Klein universe, where they are deeply and
substantively involved in our research projects and efforts.

Becoming invaluable contributors to the Center’s operation and success, interns
conduct collaborative and independent research under the guidance of Berkman
Klein staff, fellows, and faculty. Specific roles, tasks, and experiences vary
depending on Center needs and interns' skills; a select list of expected
opportunities for this coming summer is below. Typically, the workload of each
intern is primarily based under one project or suite of projects, with
encouragement and flexibility to get involved in additional projects across the
Center.

In addition to joining research teams, summer interns participate in special
lectures with Berkman Klein Center faculty and fellows, engage each other
through community experiences like weekly interns discussion hours, and attend
Center-wide events and gatherings with members of the wider Berkman Klein
community. As well, each year interns establish new channels for fun and
learning, such as organizing
debates<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=1aac36895b&e=70585a55ab>
 and pub quizzes; establishing reading groups and book clubs;
producing<http://harvard.us10.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=c6b420e65f&e=70585a55ab>
 podcasts and
videos<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=382020a611&e=70585a55ab>;
 and hosting potlucks, cook-offs, and BBQs (fortunately for us, people
share).The word "awesome" has been thrown around to describe our internships,
but don't take our word for it. Former intern Zachary McCune had this to say:
"it has been an enchanting summer working at the berkman center for internet &
society.  everyday, i get to hang out with some of the most brilliant people on
the planet. we talk, we write (emails), we blog, we laugh, we play rock band.
and when things need to get done, we stay late hyped on free coffee and
leftover food. it is a distinct honor to be considered a peer among such
excellent people. and i am not just talking about the fellows, staff, and
faculty, though they are all outstanding. no, i mean my peers as in my fellow
interns, who are almost definitely the ripening next generation of
changemakers."

Time Commitment
The summer 2017 program will run from Monday, June 5, 2017 through Friday,
August 11, 2017.  Summer internships are full time positions (35 hours/week).

Payment
Interns are paid $11.50 an hour, with the exception of certain opportunities
for law students who receive summer public interest funds (more about these
specific cases at the link for law students below).

No other benefits are provided, and interns must make their own housing,
insurance, and transportation arrangements.

Commitment to Diversity
The work and well-being of the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society are
profoundly strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in
background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation,
gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, age, disability, and much more. We
actively seek and welcome people of color, women, the LGBTQIA community,
persons with disabilities, and people at intersections of these identities,
from across the spectrum of disciplines and methods.

Eligibility

  *   Internships are open to students enrolled across the full spectrum of
disciplines.
  *   Internships are open to students at different levels of academic study
including those in bachelor’s, master’s, law, and Ph.D programs.  We also
welcome applications from recent graduates and those in between academic
programs.
  *   Summer interns do not need to be U.S. residents or in school in the U.S.;
indeed, we encourage international students to apply.
  *   Selected interns must be authorized to be employed in the United States
during the summer.  The Berkman Klein Center works with the Harvard
International Office (HIO) to sponsor J-1 Student Intern Visas, which permit
employment, for selected summer interns who meet the visa requirements.  More
information can be found on the HIO website at
http://hio.harvard.edu/j-student-intern-visa<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=4cdec70a88&e=70585a55ab>.
  *   Summer interns do not need an existing affiliation with Harvard
University.

Select Expected Summer 2017 Opportunities

  *   Ethics and Governance of Artificial Intelligence
  *   Communications
  *   Freedom of Expression
  *   Cyberlaw Clinic
  *   Cybersecurity
  *   Digital Finance Initiative
  *   Geek Cave Software Development
  *   Global Access in Action
  *   Harmful Speech Online
  *   Harvard Open Access Project
  *   Lumen
  *   Privacy Tools for Sharing Research Data
  *   Responsive Communities
  *   Special Projects with Executive Director Urs Gasser
  *   Technology, Law and Library Innovation
  *   Youth and Media

To Apply
We know what you're thinking. Yes please. I want that. That sounds magical.
Did I mention that I have incredible dance
moves<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=8e16358713&e=70585a55ab>?
  Here's what you should do...

  *   Law students: please find application instructions and important
additional information
here<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=6f79801c94&e=70585a55ab>.

  *   Students from disciplines other than law: please find more information
and application instructions
here<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=023f02fcb6&e=70585a55ab>.

The application deadline for all students for summer 2017 is Monday, February
13, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. ET

You're getting this email because you signed up to information about
opportunities at the Berkman Klein Center. Feel free to forward along to others
who you think might like this—they can sign up
here<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=0e4b07717d&e=70585a55ab>.

Have feedback? Email
us<mailto:b...@cyber.law.harvard.edu?subject=BUZZ%20Questions>. You can stay in
touch with us in other ways, too: join us for an upcoming
event<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=26ae0d913b&e=70585a55ab>,
 subscribe to
our<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=6532c929b9&e=70585a55ab>

podcast<http://harvard.us10.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=1c6c621599&e=70585a55ab>,
 or follow us on
Twitter<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=33d554f41c&e=70585a55ab>,

Facebook<http://harvard.us10.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=db2711978a&e=70585a55ab>,
 and
Instagram<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=0d5295bb1b&e=70585a55ab>.

The Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University is
dedicated to exploring, understanding, and shaping the development of the
digitally-networked environment.
For more information, visit:
http://cyber.harvard.edu<http://harvard.us10.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=ca41ac7aa2&e=70585a55ab>
[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd/images/c6e9a53e-6f67-420b-9a52-63db7d7e5b15.png]<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=57c4457244&e=70585a55ab>

This email was sent to melody.r.cl...@gmail.com<mailto:melody.r.cl...@gmail.com>
why did I get
this?<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/about?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=4782a3c945&e=70585a55ab&c=a5aad8f77b>
    unsubscribe from this
list<http://harvard.us10.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=4782a3c945&e=70585a55ab&c=a5aad8f77b>
    update subscription
preferences<http://harvard.us10.list-manage1.com/profile?u=ef13e6d75b74b1791f13115cd&id=4782a3c945&e=70585a55ab>
Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society · 23 Everett Street · Cambridge, MA
02138 · USA

--
Melody Clark
mobile: 206.303.7910