[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

"Why not require Walmart to pay the "living wage" of
the city council resolution?"

I did a brief search for the ordinance and couldn't
find it - anyone know where it is (or what it says)?
One study I bumped into said that living wage
ordinances typically are in play if the entity is
contracting with the City (not wal-mart) or if they
receive special treatment (which would be wal-mart) -
but this will, of course, depend on what Chicago's
ordinance says.  Ald. Muņoz proudly touts that he was
one of the original sponsors of the Living Wage
Amendment - anyone know his position on the current
flap?

Kevin O'Reilly wrote:

"I don't see any reason why Wal-Mart should not be
allowed to have stores in Chicago. Once any
neighborhood effects such as traffic flow are
accounted for, there's no earthly reason why Wal-Mart
should be kept out. Putting arbitrary government
hurdles in front of a business trying to move to the
city is extremely counterproductive."

Similar to environmental regulations, minimum wage
laws, workplace safety, etc., there are regulations
put in place to protect people against profit seeking
entities.  Wal-mart has quite a track record:

class action lawsuits concerning unpaid overtime, and
not being allowed breaks
<http://www.now.org/issues/wfw/041904walmart.html.>;

concerning race discrimination
<http://wal-martrace.notlong.com>;

class action lawsuits concerning sex-discrimination,
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3138188.stm>, and
<http://www.now.org/issues/wfw/wm-facts.html>;

collecting employees death benefits,
<http://www.bigclassaction.com/class_action/walmart.html>;

undermining/attacking public education,
<http://www.inthesetimes.com/comments.php?id=672_0_1_0_C>

It seems to me that this history of wal-mart should
merit serious scrutiny form city council, and denial
of their requests for rezoning.

The Public Square has Wal-Mart as its discussion topic
for the week.  The update hasn't hit their website
yet, but check there if interested
<http://thepublicsquare.org/cafe.html>

jon. kelland
pilsen/25th ward