CHODOSH BULLETIN 29 DEC 02

The second issue of the Guide to Chodosh has been mailed out to all the subscribers. ( A small group of about 30 subscribers had their Guide mailed out only today, Dec 26 due to a technical problem. We apologize for the inconvenience.) The following are additions and corrections to the second issue of the Guide.

BENZY’S MARTISCO AND UNGER BARLEY UPDATE. The second issue of the Guide described in great detail the halachic questions raised by these brands of barley. Refer to that Guide for the details. We suggested that you consult your Rov or Posek for halachic guidance. After the publication of the second Guide, on Dec. 13, 02 a letter was issued by Rabbi Evan Shore of the Young Israel of Syracuse. It states that Rabbi Shore visited Martisco (that packs all 3 brands of barley in question) and verified that all of the barley at Martisco on that date was of the Yoshon batch sealed under the hashgocho of the Ottawa Vaad Hakashrus. Based on that one time inspection, the letter concludes, in the words of Rabbi Shore, “Without reservation I can say that the barley packaged by the Martisco Bean Company is Yoshon.” I had left two telephone messages on Rabbi Shore’s answer machine asking that he call me back for clarifications. I also left a telephone message with Unger/Martisco’s agent asking that Rabbi Shore call me. I sent a fax to both the agent and Unger with the same request. Despite the agent’s assurance about a week ago that Rabbi Shore will call me, that call never came. Perhaps, Rabbi Shore is out of town…? I have several serious questions about this letter. Since Rabbi Shore has not called me back yet I have no choice but to detail my questions here. When you ask your Rov of Posek whether or not to use Benzy’s, Martisco or Unger barley, add the following questions regarding Rabbi Shore’s letter:
· How significant is Rabbi Shore’s finding that all of the barley at Martisco was Yoshon based on only one visit, especially since it appears that the visit was expected and prearranged by the company (the agent told me ahead of the time that the visit will take place) ?
· There is no reason to suspect that Martisco will necessarily bring in Chodosh barley to include in their packing. However, how can Rabbi Shore guarantee that in writing?
· How can Rabbi Shore give assurances that all of the barley packed by Martisco will be Yoshon the entire season, when he does not even claim to have been there at any of the packing?
OTHER ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS TO THE GUIDE
LE CHAIM FRUIT BARS. The Guide states that they are all Yoshon under the hashogocho of the Mechon L’Horoah of Monsey. The Mechon has asked that we warn the public that the latest packing of these candy bars may be Chodosh. The following package codes should be avoided: 23501, 23502 and 23512.

ARROWHEAD MILLS whole wheat bread flour is from winter wheat.

MRS. SILBER, 6 Maple Leaf Road Monsey sells 3 kinds of whole wheat flour. At this time these are Yoshon without hashgocho for Yoshon. They may be Chodosh in the future, ask.
AMNON frozen falafel balls are Yoshon.

Now, for the first time, we are offering on an experimental basis a formatted version of the Guide by E mail, in the PDF format. This file can only be read if you have the free Acrobat reader (available from www.adobe.com/acrobat.) This preserves most of the format of the full, printed Guide. The page layout is slightly altered, so that the table of contents and the index may be off by 1-2 pages. This version is also available to you free of charge on the condition that if you print it out it should be for your own use only, that you do not distribute it to others. To request this send an E mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and request the “PDF version of the Guide”. The file that you will get is large, about 304 KB in size. Make sure that your E mail system allows such large attachments to received mail messages.

Y. Herman
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Then if you wish to resume receiving these messages from your new service, send a message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can request several reports by sending an E-mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Then in the body of the message type the command: "get" (without the quotes) followed by the name of the file that you want. Type each request on a new line. Make sure that you copy the file name exactly as spelled including capital letters. These reports are now available:

get Guide.txt
This gets the unformatted E mail version of the current Guide to Chodosh

Get Cereal.txt
This gets the cereal tables for Quaker and General Mills that can not be read in the Guide.txt received from the previous command.

get Guidelines.txt
This gets a long report on Guidelines to Mashgichim on Chodosh. This has not been updated in the last two years, but is still substantially valid.

get News.txt
This gives the latest news bulletin, such as this note.
Project Chodosh is an independent activity, not affiliated with any movement
or organization. We thank the Jewish Internet Fund (JIF) for allowing us to use
their E mail distribution services. The JIF provides free email
and web hosting to Jewish education and outreach organizations.