Firefox does not have such a restriction.  I don't think we should go
overboard here.  If a user can install Chrome, then they should also be able
to install other software that installs Chrome extensions.  If we try to
prevent that from happening, then we will fail.  People will instead write
nasty code to figure out where the Chrome profile is and then they will
modify the files in there to cause the profile to somehow know about their
extension.  This is what people did for Firefox before Firefox supported an
official way to install extensions globally (or per user) on the system.
 Best not to try to repeat those mistakes.  The last thing you want is
people mucking around in the profile directory.  One of Chrome's top crashes
was for a while related to people modifying theme.dll !!
-Darin