http://codereview.chromium.org/115773 is my try at
fixing http://crbug.com/11841 ("autoupdate broke my browser",
familiar to anyone who's used Firefox on Linux).
I haven't cleaned up the code, but it's a lot less
invasive than I thought it was going to be.

It arranges for the .pak files to only be opened once.
This means that the browser continues working normally if
they get deleted, as happens on Linux when the
system's package manager updates the app.

Are there other files that need to be similarly protected?

Evan mentioned the inspector, which has lots of little
.html and .js files.  Maybe we could live without protecting
that at first, or put those files in a versioned directory.