If I'm not mistaken, I think like most everyone running on linux is using
the make build nowadays, and the make build seems to work well enough for
most people.  The only time I hear someone mention the scons build, it's in
reference to "you broke the scons build," or "so you developed on make.  Did
you check it worked on scons?"

Given that, what's keeping us from killing the scons build completely?

My current motivation for asking is that I've been spending the last hour
trying to figure out why scons is deciding to insert an -fPIC into my build,
whereas make is not.  This is on top of my previous motivation (from about 3
days ago) where I spent another few hours making something that worked fine
on the make build, scons compatible.  I'd rather spend that time killing
scons if there was a clear list of what was needed to make that happen.

-Albert