On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Peter Kasting <pkast...@google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Evan Stade <est...@chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> we have had a lot of bug reports asking for NEW_WINDOW, but none for these
>> two dispositions. What use cases do you envisage?
>>

> Wanting to open pages in either of these ways?  Firefox used to have
> options to control this and I was sad when they removed them.

so even firefox, which has about 10^5 adjustable options, thinks it is not
useful enough to support.

>  CURRENT_TAB is useful for people who like only using one tab (there are
> some) and for using Chrome as an external viewer for HTML-based content.
>  NEW_BACKGROUND_TAB is useful for shoveling stuff in without disturbing
> whatever the user is doing.

a) We don't have good support for untabbed browsing; if we really wanted to
support that we should have a --no-tabs mode which removes the tab strip and
forces NEW_TAB to NEW_WINDOW, but I don't think we want to support it.
b) for NEW_BACKGROUND_TAB, if a user is clicking on a desktop item, they
have already disrupted their current browser workflow, so I am skeptical of
this use case.

> To put it a different way, the cost of supporting these now is basically
> indistinguishable from the cost of just adding --new-window.

in terms of code, I don't think that's true. The current patch is extremely
light weight.

> We're never going to remove them, so there won't be any maintenance burden.
>  But if we implement --new-window and decide we need to support one of
> these, we have to add a new option.

Are you gnashing your teeth over the fact we already have --incognito?

 Same if we ever add any other useful disposition and want to support it.