I have a local squid proxy and on Windows machines using it the Chrome
installer never finishes (I can download the first, small .exe which
then initializes and tries to download the main installer). When not
using squid it works fine. When using other proxies like tinyproxy, it
also works fine. But for other reasons I have to use squid.

What's the best way to debug the issue? I can change the settings on
the proxy, capture network traffic, etc. But on the other hand other
.exes download fine, there's just a problem with downloading from
Google.