This is the e-mail we´all resellers get from Blackmagic Design, I hope the
comunity can see this as an oportunity (Matrox SDK for linux release had been
ignored by the comunity before) to get real professional tools to work in
production environments.
cheers,Marcos Caballero
http://www.anubis4d.com.ar  Hi, It's NAB time again, and I have a quick update
with all our latest news! We have had great fun working hard all year turning
ideas into new products! This year we have a new DeckLink card, new converters,
new routers, new monitoring, a waveform monitor, Linux support and a whole
bunch of new software updates!  It's quite a lot, and I will describe
everything below! Introducing Blackmagic UltraScope For years I have wanted
good waveform monitoring for color correction and editing workstations, however
most of the products available were either way too expensive or not technically
accurate and often quite an ugly design! We really wanted to change that
because we want to add waveform monitoring into studios where clients attend
and we think waveform monitoring should look nice and be technically accurate.
Blackmagic UltraScope is designed for color correction, editing and quality
control use, and it looks great in your studio because it features elegant
design, combined with technical accuracy. It includes 6 waveform views so it's
just like having 6 scopes all in one. Blackmagic UltraScope is a PC based SDI
scope that features a plug in PCI card and software. It plugs into any low cost
PCI Express based PC, and uses a 24 inch monitor to draw the 6 scope views.
These views are RGB/YUV parade, waveform, vector, histogram, audio meters,
audio stereo scope, and picture view with VITC timecode reader. There are
enough scopes included to make color correction, video shoots and quality
control checking easy and, because it's SDI based, it's digitally accurate.
Blackmagic UltraScope is designed to be technically accurate, so engineers will
love to use it too!  http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/ultrascope/
UltraScope will be available in June for $695. Introducing Studio Videohub Last
year we introduced Broadcast Videohub and it was really well received. It
introduced 3 Gb/s SDI into the Videohub family, plus a great industrial
strength power supply. We thought it was time to update the baby router with
the same 3 Gb/s SDI technology.  Studio Videohub replaces the older Workgroup
Videohub, however it's smaller at only 2 rack units high and has more
connections at 16 x 32. It's a bit like a mini Broadcast Videohub, as it uses
the same technology, re-clocking, power supply, deck control ports and the same
3 Gb/s SDI. It's perfect for small studios and small workgroups.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/videohub/ Studio Videohub is
available now for $4,995. Introducing Enterprise Videohub Last year when we
introduced the Broadcast Videohub, a bunch of people asked if we could do a
version of it that was larger than it's 72 x 144 size. This was a bit
surprising as we thought at the time that Broadcast Videohub was massive!  At
that time, Broadcast Videohub was the largest size our production machines
could handle. However we thought hard about the problem, and then decided that
it would be fun to make a larger Videohub, so we rebuilt our factory, and went
for it! The result is the new Enterprise Videohub, which is a massive 144 x
288. It's got the same single PCB design that avoids the need for unreliable
plug in cards and internal connectors, plus it's got the same redundant power
supplies, 3 Gb/s SDI and full SDI re-clocking. It's the same thin design as
Broadcast Videohub, and is 16 rack units in size. We think Enterprise Videohub
is big enough for the largest facility with huge amounts of SDI equipment that
all needs to be shared between people!
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/videohub/ Enterprise Videohub will be
available in June for $29,995. Videohub 4.0 Software I think the only real
limitation our Videohub routers have previously suffered is the software and we
have been working hard to fix that. We originally used network based software
control for Videohub because it's so easy to use the network you already have
installed in your building. This lets you change router connections from your
desktop. Now we have an exciting update to Videohub 4.0 that includes three new
button view control windows. These widows are designed with large customizable
buttons, and all you need to do is push the button to change a router
connection. Two of these button windows are designed to run full screen on 20
and 24 inch monitors, so you can use new touch screen computers, such as the HP
Touchsmart, as a large color touch screen control panel. These computers are
much lower cost than a multi-function control panel, and with Videohub 4.0's
button view, they make the world's greatest router control panel! We have a
great interactive demo of this on our booth at NAB.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/videohub/ Videohub 4.0 will be
available in May as a free update for all Videohub router models. Introducing
DVI Extender One of the biggest costs in any television facility is the cost of
space. With DVI Extender we wanted to find a way to let you route your computer
monitor via your 3 Gb/s SDI router. If you can do this, you can move between
rooms easy. If you can move between rooms easy, you can completely change the
way you design a facility. You can have large decadently designed rooms for
clients, and then small rooms or even cubicles for when you're not with a
client. DVI Extender lets you locate all your noisy computers in one central
place and then use your router to connect your computer and video monitors to
any room in your facility.  This has other big advantages as well. DVI Extender
uses a HDLink Pro as it's other monitor end. HDLink Pro can view both computer
resolution input from DVI Extender, or regular HD-SDI video, so with a single
monitor you can watch either a computer or video monitor. That's perfect for
client monitoring as they can see both. Also, you can route the DVI computer
monitor to more than one location, which is great for digital signage work
where there are different data type screens around a building with all types of
different info, or lots of monitors.  DVI Extender powers from the computer's
USB port, and has a DVI connection that plugs into the computer, as well as an
audio input so you get sound. Of course DVI Extender also converts from DVI to
regular HD/SD-SDI, so it's a great converter if you want to use accelerated 3D
graphics from computers to SDI video. Because it's USB powered, it can be used
and powered from a laptop computer.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/dviextender/ DVI Extender will be
available in June for $395. Optical Fiber  We have some great new products with
optical fiber this year! We have been working hard on trying to eliminate the
cost of using optical fiber, as we think it's the next generation of SDI
connection.  Optical fiber has some big benefits such as long distances, low
cost, and optical fiber cables last virtually forever because you can keep
plugging them into faster equipment in the future, and the same cables will go
much faster. Optical fiber cables can be installed by your local electrician,
and the cables can be purchased from your local electrical wholesaler. That's
because optical fiber is used all the time in computer networking, so it's low
cost and commonly available. The only easy way to make optical fiber affordable
and competitive with regular copper SDI is to build optical fiber into the
equipment. We have done this on 4 new product models. No one has done this
before and I think, for the first time, these products will let everyone afford
to build native optical fiber studios.  DeckLink Optical Fiber We have a new
DeckLink card that has both regular SDI and optical fiber SDI capture and
playback. DeckLink Optical Fiber is a full 10 bit HD/SD capture card compatible
with Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. It also includes RS-422 deck control, 8
channels of embedded SDI audio, SD internal keyer, and tri-sync/black burst
reference input.  We think DeckLink Optical Fiber is a fantastic card for
anyone who wants to use optical fiber or regular SDI because both are built in.
It's also a fantastic card for developers who want to sell to broadcasters.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/decklink/ DeckLink Optical Fiber is
available now for $495. HDLink Optical Fiber HDLink Optical Fiber is a new
monitoring converter that's an enhanced version of HDLink Pro. HDLink Optical
Fiber is a SD, HD and 2K monitoring converter that uses 24 or 30 inch DVI
displays or HDMI televisions for broadcast monitoring. It has 3D look up tables
built in, and 6 channels of RCA audio monitoring out.  It features both
traditional copper SDI input as well as optical fiber SDI input, plus copper
SDI and optical fiber SDI loop-thru outputs. Both outputs are always active and
the inputs are auto selected.  HDLink Optical Fiber is priced at US$795 which
is the same price as the HDLink Pro model it replaces. This means optical fiber
has been added at no extra charge. Of course HDLink Pro is still a very
powerful product when optical fiber is not needed, and this model has now been
reduced in price to US$495. http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hdlink/
HDLink Optical Fiber is available now for $795. Mini Converter Optical Fiber Of
course if you're converting other equipment to optical fiber, then we also have
a new Mini Converter model that converts from SDI to optical fiber, as well as
optical fiber to SDI simultaneously. This single converter can convert both the
input and output of conventional SDI equipment to optical fiber. Mini Converter
Optical Fiber handles all SD, HD and 3 Gb/s SDI formats, and auto switches, and
it's a fantastic and affordable solution to make optical fiber more affordable.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/miniconverters/ Mini Converter
Optical Fiber is available now for $495. Lastly, Blackmagic UltraScope also has
both regular SDI as well as optical fiber SDI inputs built in for the same $695
price.  We think with all these products, it's now easy to build a native
optical fiber television studio, and then get future proof cabling so you don't
need to upgrade every time a new video standard comes along. I have written a
white paper discussing the benefits and limitations of both copper SDI and
optical fiber SDI, and if you would like to check it out, then please download
it from the link below.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/downloads/whitepapers/OpticalFiber.pdf New
Audio Mini Converters Last year we introduced 5 Mini Converters, and we have
received some fantastic positive feedback on them. We have 2 new models this
year that take care of audio embedding and de-embedding. Both models have loop
through SDI video that auto switches between SD, HD and 3 Gb/s and includes the
redundant input feature. Both models feature audio that can be switched between
balanced analog or AES/EBU digital audio on standard balanced jack connectors.
The Mini Converter SDI to Audio then de-embedds 4 channels of balanced analog
audio, or 8 channels of AES/EBU digital audio from the SDI input. You can
select which audio channels you want to de-embed. Mini Converter Audio to SDI
is the opposite, and it embeds audio from either 4 channels of analog or 8
channels of AES/EBU digital audio into the SDI input video and outputs it on
the SDI output. You can select to leave an audio channel in the SDI input
untouched, or to overwrite it with one of the audio inputs. All AES/EBU audio
inputs feature sample rate converters, which can be turned off when working
with Dolby audio inputs.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/miniconverters/ Both Mini Converters
are available now for $495 each. Introducing 8 New OpenGear Converters! A lot
of people are building larger systems with rack based equipment, and don't want
to clutter the rear of racks with mini converter type bricks.  To solve this
problem we have 8 new rack based converters fully compatible with the OpenGear
standard.  OpenGear is the television industry's open standard for rack based
conversion and processing, and are compatible with a wide range of third party
equipment from OpenGear partners worldwide. OpenGear was invented by Ross Video
as an open standard for rack mount converters and processing for television
broadcasters.  OpenGear uses a 2 rack unit rack frame that normally holds up to
10 plug in cards or, when using simpler cards, a double density frame can be
used to hold up to 20 cards. OpenGear cards are hot swappable and can be
centrally controlled via the DashBoard network control and monitoring software
for Windows, Mac and Linux. Blackmagic OpenGear Converters include the latest
technology such as 3 Gb/s SDI, redundant SDI inputs, switchable AES/EBU and
balanced audio and support for OpenGear’s DashBoard network based control
software.  We have 8 OpenGear Converter models to choose from, depending on
your conversion needs. SDI to Analog, Analog to SDI, SDI to HDMI, HDMI to SDI,
SDI to Audio, Audio to SDI, Optical Fiber and Sync Generator. Detailed
specifications are on our web site for each model. Blackmagic OpenGear
Converters also include powerful processing that can be upgraded via the USB
port on the front of each card. The SDI to Analog model features a high quality
HD down converter that supports letterbox, anamorphic 16:9 and center cut 4:3
modes.  http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/opengear/ OpenGear Converters
will be available in June and all models are only $495. Media Express 2.0 We
also have a new version of Media Express. This new version features frame
accurate batch capture of DPX, QuickTime and AVI files. It also supports a
dramatically improved user interface with batch lists, metadata editing,
support for double speed capture on Sony HDCAM-SR decks and more.  Media
Express 2.0 is due in June at no charge, and will work with all DeckLink,
Multibridge and Intensity cards. Available on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
Linux Support As you can see, we are now supporting Linux on DeckLink,
Multibridge and Intensity cards. This will be a free download, and you will be
able to switch between platforms and run on all of them. Media Express 2.0 will
be on Linux, so this will provide a full production solution on Linux with
capture and playback of DPX, AVI and QuickTime with deck control.  We also have
our developer SDK supported on Linux so anyone can create custom solutions.
It's taken us longer than we expected to support Linux, but we wanted to make
sure we did it right, and with a really good version of Media Express. Then we
have a solid production workstation on a great operating system! Linux support
will be rereleased in May for developers, and June with Media Express as a free
download. Software Developer Kit As mentioned above, our software developer kit
is now available for download for Windows and Mac, and Linux is due in May.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/software/ New DeckLink HD Extreme
Lastly, I wanted to mention the new model DeckLink HD Extreme that shipped
easily last month. This new model now has incredible processing power and
includes high quality down conversion to letterbox, anamorphic 16:9 and center
cut 4:3.  Also included is Dual Link 3 Gb/s SDI capture and playback, so you
can work in the highest possible quality. Analog video, analog audio, HDMI and
AES/EBU digital audio capture and playback are also included, as well as deck
control and reference input. A HD keyer is built in, and you can also output
video and key out. The new DeckLink HD Extreme is the same price as the
previous model at $995 and it's avalible now.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/decklinkhdextreme/ Price Reductions
Finally we have some new lower prices on Intensity Pro, DeckLink SDI and HDLink
Pro. This is the part I love because it makes getting access to higher quality
video tools even easer! Intensity Pro has been an incredible capture card for
us because when we designed it, we made sure it had the same high quality
analog components that we used on our high end Multibridge Eclipse. This means
it has amazing analog quality combined with the digital quality of HDMI capture
and playback.  Intensity Pro has now been reduced in price from $349 to $199, a
massive saving of $150! We think this should make it even easier to buy and
help us bring high quality compressed and uncompressed editing to even more
people!  DeckLink SDI is popular with broadcasters and developers, and we
wanted to make it even easier to buy. DeckLink SDI is now reduced by $100 to
only $295.  HDLink Pro now replaces the original HDLink, and has been reduced
in price by $300 down to $495. It sill includes Dual Link 3 Gb/s SDI input, 2K
support on a 30 inch display, 3D lookup tables, DVI or HDMI monitor support,
and 6 channels of RCA analog audio outputs. This new price really reduces the
cost of HD and 2K monitoring, plus HDLink Pro works with the new DVI Extender.
Thats all the news for now, and we hope to see you at NAB!  Regards, Grant
PettyBlackmagic Design