I guess after changing duration of still images you imported again your
image. I guess you just didn't change the duration but also clic on the
selection at the left of the duration where you're asked for teh
option.  You must see a red check sign.
That's the way i deal with it and it works well on my cinelerra cv 2.1
ubuntu studio 9.10.