Sigrid, I agree. Originally, Citizendium launched with a bunch of servers
because we thought we would soon need them. Later, Dan moved us to a more
modest configuration. Now, there's no reason we can't get by with even
less. Another thing that has changed since we got started is that there are
cloud services like Amazon Web Services which make it easy to start and
maintain complex projects on an *a la carte* basis without having to pay
for whole servers.

As far as I know, the only thing stopping us from reducing our costs to a
level which would be trivial to sustain is a person (or a couple persons)
willing and able to

(1) spec out our requirements (again--this was done once or twice before,
but surely all we need is a wiki, forums, mailing lists, a mail server, and
maybe one or two small things)
(2) find a much cheaper solution (you mentioned one; Amazon Web Services is
another)
(3) get approval from the Management Council (shouldn't be a problem)
(4) actually move the stuff.

All we need to do is find some wonderful person to execute!

This shouldn't be taken as a criticism of Dan. He reduced our costs
considerably and we should be grateful to him for that. It's just that,
well, since money is an ongoing problem, we really need to reduce our costs
even more. Who, out there, is able to do this?

--Larry