Andrew,
While I really agree with you over the importance of
being able to both sight-read and memorise I'm afraid
that I can only disagree with 'Tablature is a
near-perfect medium for sight reading'.  To be honest
I feel that tablature is a very imperfect medium
because it is inherently limited to only being of
value to one particular type of instrument and/or
tuning. It is also, I feel, rather limited in its
ability to convey all the information needed to peform
a piece of music accurately - given little more than
what notes are played and in what sequence. I would
suggest that standard music notation is far closer to
'perfection' as it contains all the information needed
to peform a piece on any instrument which can play
notes of defined pitches.
Also, it is not exactly difficult to learn and you
only need to earn it once to be able to use it on any
instrument.
Okat, that's my opinion on the matter expressed.
Kevin.
--- Andrew Hartig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>