Ray Nurse gave an invited lecture on Dowland at the LSA in Vancouver last
summer. One of his comments that I found particularly striking was that he
found it unfortunate that the modern early music scene evolved largely from
classical music. He argued, based on his considerable scholarly knowledge,
that the conventional classical approach with it's heavy focus on ur-texts
and the intent of the composer, was not well suited to the music of the
Renaissance. They simply didn't think of composition as we do today, where
the composer effectively dictates in considerable detail just how they
expect the piece to be played, and the musician has only limited latitude
for expression.

Many Ren lute pieces are not even written out by the composer. They are
preserved in manuscripts written out by a variety of individuals (e.g., a
significant chunk of what we have of English Ren lute music was written down
by Matthew Holmes, not the actual composers). There are commonly multiple
variants of the same piece in different manuscripts that often differ
substantially in length, frequency and complexity of divisions, and so on.
Each basically represents one individuals take on a piece, and likely
reflect variations in how the performer played the piece at different times,
or perhaps just the skill of the individual who wrote the manuscript
version.

Further, we know that improvisation was normal; composers of that period
simply didn't expect musicians to stick to the literal notes on the page and
nothing else. They expected musicians to improvise to a greater or lesser
extent. Even for something as explicitly written out as the later Dowland
Fantasias, you still must improvise the graces, and perhaps even the odd
division. Listen to PODs Dowland CD set, for example, with the music in
front of you. At the other extreme, consider manuscripts like the Rowallen
or Straloch. They have a number of pieces that are only a few measures in
length (i.e., a few seconds of playing time). As a literal prescription for
a performance, they simply don't make any sense. OTOH, as a starting point
for something like an improvised set of divisions, many of them work quite
nicely. You can find some examples in Ronn McFarlane's solo albums, and in
some of the Baltimore Consort albums.