on 12/5/08 4:05 pm, Christopher Davies at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Can anyone shed light on this question: What is the historical evidence for
> using tortoiseshell on Renaissance/Baroque plucked instruments? My 18th c.
> cetra features a tortoiseshell fingerboard, and I wonder at what point this
> practice (or likewise use as decorative inlay on belly) is documented.
> I have some lovely faux tortoiseshell (granted,  a 19th c. creation) from
> Turtleworks company and am tempted to use it on something other than an
> English guittar.
> thanks,
> christopher davies

Plenty of tortoiseshell used on Voboam (Parisian) guitars.  Earliest I can
think of off-hand is the Rene Voboam in the Ashmolean, 1640(?).  There may
well be earlier examples by the Sellas family in Venice.  If you don't have
enough for a guitar, there are plenty of cithrinchen by Tielke at the end of
the century.

Best wishes,

Peter