Thanks Frank and Stuart for all the info on Bellman, Storm, etc.

On Nov 16, 2008, at 6:46 AM, Frank Nordberg wrote:

Now it's getting really messy. The sixth course in the tuning charts are
not slashed which is how the *seventh* course are notated in the
fretting examples on the same page. The only explanation I can think of is that the tuning charts are copied from a different source than the rest of the ms and intended for a six course instrument.

You are right, the last tuning course in not slashed -- I should mark that in my edition.

As I've mentioned, I am a bit uncomfortable with the number of editorial changes I was making with the bass courses. Perhaps your suggestion that the manuscript tuning chart was copied from a different source might also apply to different musical pieces.

Now that I've had a closer look at the music I agree. C is the only tuning that would consistently fit all the pieces with no need for retuning or "correcting" any bass notes.

I'm glad

> There are also passage (6 and 14) where the baseline seems to be
> displaced an octave (if the 7th is read as a C).

How about a re-entrant tuning: c'-f-bb-d'-f'-a'-d''
There are plenty of historical references to such a practice to add extra bass strings to facilitate the playing of certain notes rather than to expand the instrument's range although I have to admit I don't know of any close to Storm in time and location. Such a tuning would solve another problem that's been bothering me about the manuscript: the range of the seven course instrument seems far to wide for the string materials available at that time.

I think it's an interesting idea to consider something re-entrant. If the 7th were an octave higher it would make more sensible bass line movement, but then in some places it would be the same pitch as a fretted note (piece #6, for example). Why choose one over the other?

Might a possible re-entrant tuning might have started on a higher course than 7? The melodies seem to go down to the third or fourth course. Might a re-entrant start from, say the 5th course? I don't have any knowledge of the later (or larger citterns), so it's just posed as a question.