It is necessary for serialization, although it is usually a private
field. ALL classes in classpath which implement java.io.Serializable
should declare this field, and it should match the results of running
Sun's serialver tool on that class; otherwise, Classpath will not be
compatible for serialization.  java.io.ObjectStream uses the value of
this field to see if two class versions are compatible. This field is
needed in Classpath even when Sun's jar does not have the field.
(Interfaces which extend Serializable do not need this field).

--
This signature intentionally left boring.

Eric Blake             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   BYU student, free software programmer