Thanks, Rich. Reading made the difference. I was confused because I was able
to load smaller data structure literal files, but it would choke on the 12MB
file. That's why I thought there was something about the way the larger file
was being loaded.

I think I avoided using read because it needed a PushbackReader and
load-file was just so easy to pass a path to. Anyway, sorry about the dumb
question, and thanks for the response.

Paul

Looks like you might be using Clojure data structures literals as a