I think that just as important as "compactness" is the issue of
"density": the ratio
of the "conceptual weight"of the computation to the size of the code
expressing it.

if a computation is inherently complicated and I manage to squeeze it
into
a few lines (typically accomplished via an intense cognitive effort)
the resulting
code is usually hard to understand/maintain/debug because you need to
be
acquainted with all sorts of little truths and insights which are not
obvious for the casual
reader. This is what I call a high density code.

Given that Clojure is a very powerful language, I often find my self
in a situation
where I mange to write highly dense code, sometimes at the expense of
readability. In such
cases I think that the use of explaining variables, and simplified-but-
somewhat-longer expressions
is desirable.

OTOH, if the code is inherently simple (e.g.: a chain of straight-
forward transformations on a collection)
I think that using Clojure's power to reduce the line count by a
factor of more than 5  (compared to, say, Java),
is highly beneficial.

The predicament is that there's no objective way to measure
"conceptual weight" nor "density" so
this issue is largely a personal judgment call.

Just my 2c.

--
Itay Maman
http://javadots.blogspot.com