On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Stuart Sierra
<the.stuart.sie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 29, 3:40 pm, "Mark Volkmann" <r.mark.volkm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Brian Doyle <brianpdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Looking at this code the uppercase variables stands out.
>> > This isn't idiomatic is it?
>>
>> > (def GRID_SIZE 10)
>> > (def HEIGHT 600)
>> > (def MARGIN 50)
>>
>> I don't know. I was following Java conventions of making constants all
>> uppercase. Is there a convention for this in Clojure?
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> There's a Common Lisp convention of surrounding constant names with
> "+", like:
> (def +grid-size+ 10)
> but even in CL it's not followed consistently.  Go with what feels
> good. :)
>
>> Is there a way I could prevent them from being changed later?
>
> Not really, you can always re-def.

Thanks for the info. Stuart!

It's early enough in the life of Clojure that we haven't developed any
deeply held habits yet. I think it would be a good idea for you and
other Clojure committers to at least suggest the way you think things
should be done in code. If you think surrounding names of constants
with plus signs is a good way to identify them as such, I'll gladly
start doing that for the sake of consistency. I don't think it's a
good idea for all of us to simply do what feels good because that will
make it harder to read code written by others.

--
R. Mark Volkmann
Object Computing, Inc.