Haven't solved it yet, but I may have found something useful enough
for someone cleverer than I to make something out of.

When I run clojure directly as inferior-lisp, without slime, the
problem does occur. However, as soon as I enter something in the
inferior lisp buffer, it starts working again.

1. I start up clojure with M-x run-lisp
2. I load my test Swing app (the temperature converter) using (load-
file ...).
3. The Swing frame hangs (doesn't respond to events)
4. I hit "enter" in the inferior lisp buffer
5. The Swing frame starts responding again

My best guess is that something is blocking on the input stream from
the Repl, and preventing events from being processed by the event-
handling thread. As soon as something is entered in the Repl, it
somehow clears this state and starts working again.

Any thoughts on how to fix it?

Thanks,
-Luke