What if you run the Swing code in the Event Dispatch Thread?

In other words, does this:

(. javax.swing.SwingUtilities (invokeAndWait #(.
javax.swing.JOptionPane (showMessageDialog nil "Hello World"))))

or

(. javax.swing.SwingUtilities (invokeLater #(. javax.swing.JOptionPane
(showMessageDialog nil "Hello World"))))

work for you?