> At some point in this process, Clojure needs to know which foo you're
> talking about. It can't retrieve the var associated with foo without
> knowing which namespace it's in. That determination can either be
> explicit or it can be made via the current namespace (*ns*), but it
> has to be made somehow.

Years of using C++ namespaces have rotted my brain, but I think the
"surprise" here was that (load-file) uses the current namespace from
the run-time environment, rather than the compile-time environment.
To my way of thinking, anything appearing beneath the (ns whatever)
should operate in that namespace.

As long as no one cares if I muck with *ns*, I can make it work the
way I want.  Thanks for pointing out that namespaces revert at the end
of a load.  Clearly matches observed behavior, but I hadn't thought
about it before.

Paul