The latest version of Clojure incorporated lazy sequences which broke many
libraries early on.  Most of these problems have been worked out. In my
experience you should use the cutting edge version of everything including
SLIME.  I clone everything from GitHub (clojure, clojure-contrib,
swank-clojure, clojure-mode, slime).  This has worked for me for the past 6
months with very few problems (except the original transition to lazy
sequences).