Thanks for your suggestions!

I think decompiling and altering the class is probably a little bit
beyond my skill level. At first I tried to start a swank server from
my servlet, but that failed because GAE doesn't allow you to open
sockets. By decompiling and disabling that, I could probably work
around it, but that sounds like it could be quite difficult and I
wouldn't actually know where to start :-) I think I'll go with David's
suggestion for now. Since GAE (or at least the dev server) is based on
Jetty as well, that should work out pretty well.